Friday, March 09, 2007

More good news, and time for a vacation

Woohoo! I got into my top choice (I think) school, the University of Waterloo. This application was just for the master's program, as I think Waterloo requires PhD applicants to have a master's; but I expect it's easy to stay for the PhD at Waterloo if I do well in the master's program.

Anyway, I got information about financial packages from both Waterloo and Georgia Tech today. **TIM, SKIP THE REST OF THIS PARAGRAPH** Georgia Tech is offering me $23,100 annually for a teaching assistantship and Waterloo is offering me "at least 30,000 CDN" (~ $25,500) in some combination of scholarships and teaching or research assistantship stipends. (I'm pretty sure that both packages include tuition waivers, and reduced fees.) Some pretty nice deals!

Waterloo wants me to make my decision by March 30, so if I'm going to do some visiting I'd better do it soon…before GA Tech's prospective grad visiting day, which is April 6. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out some travel arrangements very soon.

Anyway, in other news, it's spring break! This was a pretty tough week of midterms--both Music History and Software Development midterms were tough. My goal for this semester (and for the past 3 years) has been to graduate with high honors, which means bringing my current GPA up about 0.015 points. According to my calculations, I'd need to get all A's this semester except for at most 2 A-'s or 1 B+. Clinic, Cryptography, and Photography (I think) are easy A's, but unfortunately, at this point I think I'm around B+ level in Software Development and A- level in Music Theory. That would be so disappointing if I ended up with one measly grade level off of my long-sought academic goal! I think I did well in all my midterms this week, though--and I'm so glad to have them done.

Last night I took advantage of a HMC student-faculty outing to see the L.A. Opera's production of Tannhaüser. It was really cool, and coincided perfectly with our study of Wagner in Music Theory class…what a fascinating guy.


It's vacation time! I have another meet at Redlands tomorrow, where I'm running the 800 for the first time this season, and going for my sixth consecutive weekend with a personal record. But then, on Sunday morning, we're headed out to do some camping and hiking in N. Arizona/S. Utah. Heather and I are going with a group of about 8 fellow Mudders. The schedule looks like this:
Sunday-Monday: Grand Canyon
Monday-Wednesday: Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park
Thursday-Friday: Sedona, AZ, and Tempe to visit Heather's house
Friday night: back in Claremont, so I can make my meet (third in a row at Redlands) on Saturday.

I'm very excited!!

2 comments:

Tim said...

$25,000? Is that all? I forgot to mention that music theory doctoral stipends (as opposed to masters stipends) are actually measured not in thousands, but millions.
Anyway, congratulations! And I bet you know more about Wagner than I do now.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful options you have, Nate! Congratulations! And, we'll keep tuned in to see what your decision will be!

Hope it is OK with you, but I've made arrangements to attend your graduation. Unfortunately, Grandpa had planned a sailing trip before he knew the date of HM graduation.

Love, Grandma C.