Saturday, May 31, 2008

Phoenix

My blog has become something of a travelog…I guess because I find no urgent need to write about everyday happenings. Oh well…at least I travel reasonably often!

Last weekend I flew to Phoenix, while Heather flew there from L.A. In spite of getting in really late (and 2 hours later than planned, for me), we went to a bar in downtown Tempe where I met some of Heather's home friends. It was really nice to get some faces to put names to, but at 1:30 AM (4:30 Eastern time) I was ready to collapse, so we headed up to the Schalliol's new home in Scottsdale.

The next day, we all headed to Roosevelt Lake, about 2 hours east of Phoenix, and set up some tents at a ranch owned by relatives of Casey and Carol Swenson, who along with their kids Ryan and Kelly are the best family friends of the Schalliols. The Swensons, their relatives, and various other people were there, probably around 30 in all. For that day and the next, we spent our time at the lake, camping, waterskiing, and having a good time in the sun. (The weather cooperated: the first day was almost cool, with the sun feeling great, and the second day was perfect—high-70s/low-80s and sunny.)

My first time waterskiing was a blast! I was actually able to "get up" on my first try, though I was only able to stay up for a few seconds the first few times. But by the second day, I was cruising along and feeling very comfortable, holding on through choppy water and cutting across the wake of the boat. I'd say that the aqueous version of skiing is much easier to pick up than the snowy version, and much easier on your joints, too. But it is tiring—my back and arm muscles were feeling the burn.

On Sunday night we returned to Phoenix to spend Memorial Day around the new home. In the morning, Heather and I went on a beautiful (and sunny!) run in the rich new neighborhoods by Mummy Mountain, and spent some time in the backyard shooting hoops and taking a dip in the pool. Then we went shopping and prepared a nice cookout meal: kebabs, with shark meat, steak, peppers, onions, mushrooms, and pineapple, with couscous on the side. Yum!

Of course, the weekend was over way too soon…I'm already starting to miss Heather and her family, and now I want to go waterskiing again!

Here are the pictures.

Heather, Kristen, and somebody's dog on one of the boats, ferrying to our base camp location.

Heather getting ready to go!

Heather waterskiing in front of some beautiful desert scenery

I give it a go…one of my first times, I look pretty tense.

Here's the sequel to the Moguls video from the ski trip in January. This is maybe my 3rd or 4th try. I was tenacious!

Kristen, having a heck of a time!

Our base camp area, where people went (or stayed) to relax, chat, and sip some cold ones

View from the designated potty area

Base camp on the lake

Arizona vista

At the end of the day

Ryan and Kelly Swenson, riding in the boat from the ranch to the lake

Heather on the 2nd day

Me riding outside the wake! Four Peaks, with snow, in background

Feeling confident!

Kelly rocking out on the wakeboard

Kristen is a natural on her first try at the wakeboard

Ryan showing us how it's done, on the Skurfer.

Enjoying some sun on a not-so-hot day!

Ryan wakeboarding…yeah, he's GOOD.

Schalliols around the backyard dinner table.

1 comment:

KristenLindell said...

Lovely.. Absolutely stupendous!! Pictures and comments are fantastic.
I wish it lasted a lot longer as well. Hmm.. next adventure, zee wedding! Now that'll be an adventure and a half.. let me tell you.

:)