Sunday, January 27, 2008

Skiing with the Schalliols

Because I haven't had enough vacations recently, a week ago I flew to Phoenix and met up with Heather's family to go skiing in Telluride, CO.

It was my third time skiing, the only other times being at Fun Valley near Montezuma, Iowa (Yeah.) All of the Schalliols, as well as their family friends the Swensons (who came along, too) are experienced skiers. So, my first run (which was a blue…) on the resulted in a huge wipeout, after which Heather patiently spent the morning with me, getting me to practice slowing down by turning (a technique I hadn't tried before) and allowing myself to get more comfortable on the skis. That first afternoon we rejoined the others and went down several blues (intermediates, which are pretty steep in Colorado), which were very intimidating for me. That night I was somewhat worried about the next day, whether I could relax enough to start having fun…but, thankfully, on the second day I felt much more comfortable—and it really was fun! (It was nice to have three days of skiing in a row, because that way I could start where I left off the previous day, and really improve.) By the third day, I was very confident on the single-blue slopes, speeding up when I meant to speed up, and I even tried some moguls (almost successfully)! See video:



It was a fun weekend in general—warming up in the restaurants next to the slopes, playing board games in our cozy condo, making dinners, getting to know people better, and enjoying the beautiful scenery--I've been to this part of Colorado before (Ouray is < 20 miles away as the crow flies) but never in winter, when the snow on the tall pines is just stunning.

I can't wait to go skiing again! (Although, my knees might beg to differ…)

Mark and Kristen, all set to go

Some upper slopes

A family on ice! Kristen, Mark, Marilyn, and Heather

The master and her protegé

The last day turned sunny as soon as we were about to leave. But the other days had been perfect: 20-30 degrees, sunny, a 60+ inch base of snow, and light frostings each night.

Riding the gondola back down into Telluride

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a little easier than climbing UP the Aspen ski slopes in summer, right?

and HOW CAN YOU AFFORD TO BE DOING ALL THIS AGAIN?

claire

Anonymous said...

Those mountains are stupendous in the winter! No wonder nobody tries to go over them until July rolls around....

Nate, your mogulling was pretty impressive---especially the ending.

MOM