Sunday, January 29, 2006

Sziasztok!

Whew…it's been nice to have a relaxing weekend after 9 out of 10 days immersed in the Hungarian language. The language class ends on this Wednesday, and then we have Thursday and Friday off before "real" classes start next Monday. It's amazing to think that my main program hasn't even started yet…but it's also amazing that this is my third Sunday here!

Some recent unfortunate news: my roommate Jim has been feeling sick all week, and just a couple days ago he was diagnosed with mono. I mainly feel bad for him, because he has to spend all his time cooped up in the apartment and can't even attend class, but I'm also a little worried the sickness may spread…we'll cross our fingers that Jim can get over it and that it'll stay contained.

Amazingly, I've run twice in the past three days, to bring my total number of runs in Budapest to three! Two days ago, I woke up early, ran across the river to Buda, met up with my friend Kira, and watched the sunrise from Fisherman's Bastion. It was awesome--see the pictures below. Today I ran the full length of Margaret Island, which is a cool island in the middle of the Danube that's only accessible by a bridge at either end and is totally parkland.

I've had a few exciting culinary experiences in the past week. On Thursday, I went with a group of friends to a restaurant in Buda for dinner. On the menu was a "Hungarian Meal for 2" for about $15--which of course Ivan and I decided to try. The meal was HUGE, consisting of four different types of meat, a bunch of potatoes and onions, rice, and pickled vegetables. It was one of the largest meals I think I've ever eaten, but we ended up licking the platter clean!! (After this meal, Ivan and I agreed we had to take a walk, so we headed up Castle Hill and had an awesome night view of Budapest.) For Friday lunch, we decided to try "Kadar's," a place recommended to us by a language teacher and by some of my guidebooks. The setting was quite cramped, in a small room filled with locals who looked like they ate there every day. The food was Hungarian and DELICIOUS, the best food I've had here yet…especially considering that the meals cost $4. I can assure you that we're going back there!

To bring a semblance of sophistication to the BSM program, Ivan and I have decided to instigate Formal Fridays. According to the plan, we showed up to class this past Friday dressed up (shirts and ties). Not only did we receive compliments on our dress code, but we felt moderately respectable when eating at Kadar's among the locals. Yesterday, on the spur of the moment, we decided to learn some different tie knots, and ended up practicing for an hour or two. It was a lot of fun, and now, when I go out, I can choose the right knot for the right occasion: Windsor, Half Windsor, Four in Hand, or Pratt. We are so classy.

So, another introduction to one of my Budapest friends: my best friend here so far besides Ivan is Kira, originally from Hawaii/Oregon/Linfield College. She lives in Buda (a 10-15 minute metro ride away), but always hangs out with us between classes and often after class. She's really cool and likes to joke around, even though she is pretty liberal with dealing out punches when people are making fun of her. Amazingly, I think she loves Hawaii almost as much as I love Iowa.

The math is approaching! I'm so excited…


Formal Friday!


Fisherman's Bastion and Statue of St. Istvan (an early Hungarian ruler) in the morning


Sunrise from Fisherman's Bastion


Kira with more Fisherman's Bastion, Buda Castle, and Géllert Hill in the background


More sunrise


Looking from Fisherman's Bastion over to Parliament


View of Buda with Margaret Island on the right


Who needs a shirt when you have a Full Windsor?

2 comments:

Neel said...

Sup Nate - I decided to follow your lead and make a blog thing for my New Zealand trip. Of course, it doesn't have shit yet. Good call on the Formal Fridays, man - you know how we roll.

- N

Unknown said...

Hey Nate!

Your Formal Fridays remind me of something a few of my friends did every week...Dress-Up Tuesday. It always threw the teachers off...ah, the memories. Hope you're still havign a good time. Everything's pretty much the same here, track is good, orchestra is good. Take care!